National Training Committee
The National Training Committee works with the Coordination Team to support the development, organisation and delivery of cytology training in New Zealand. The committee is a multi-disciplinary group of eighteen members, chaired by Dr Diane Kenwright. Thirteen members represent workforce groups such as cytopathologists, anatomic pathology registrars, cytotechnicians and molecular scientists. Two members also represent professional organisations.
Members have an interest in training and education and develop networks to consult and communicate with the groups they represent. Three NCPTS Training Team staff are ex-officio members and clerical support is provided by the NCPTS administrator.
The role of the National Training Committee is to assist the NCPTS Training Team by providing oversight and advice about the activities of the NCPTS. Members are selected to cover a wide range of professional groups and geographic regions in New Zealand. The term of appointment is for the term of the NCPTS contract. Expressions of interest are called for from relevant sector groups, if a member resigns. Prospective members must be current practitioners in their discipline and have experience or an active interest in education.
The NZ Training Committee meets with the three NCPTS Training Team staff in November each year, where the training programme for the previous 12 months is reviewed and plans for the coming year are discussed. Teleconferences are held between annual face-to-face meetings.
The current members of the NCPTS Committee are:
- Associate Professor Diane Kenwright (Chair, Histopathologist)
- Dr Andrew Miller (Histo/cytopathologist)
- Dr Kathryn Payne (Histopathologist)
- Dr David Innes (Histopathologist)
- Dr Peter Bethwaite (Histopathologist)
- Dr Fahimeh Rahnama (Molecular Scientist, NZIMLS* rep)
- Dr Amanda Charlton (Histopathologist)
- Ursula Van Den Heever (Recent Pathology Graduate)
- Meik Dilcher (Molecular Scientist)
- Christine Hide (Cytotechnician)
- Helen Keeman (AP Registrar)
*NZIMLS: New Zealand Institute of Medical Laboratory Science
Ex-Officio Members: NCPTS Training Team:
- Dr Margaret Sage (Cytopathologist, NCPTS Coordinator)
- Christl Kirstein (ThinPrep Cytoscientist)
- Ashika Bissoon (SurePath Cytoscientist)