1. Increase diagnostic expertise with ThinPrep and SurePath gynaecologic cytology specimens
2. Improve knowledge about gynaecologic cytology screening in the detection and prevention of invasive cervical cancer including an integrated understanding of cytology, histology, HrHPV testing and colposcopy in the clinical context
3. Foster interest, motivation and engagement in gynaecologic cytology as a professional discipline
Curriculum Objectives for 2018
1.Increase diagnostic skill in reporting
2. Improve knowledge about HrHPV testing in cervical cancer screening and prevention
3. Establish baseline knowledge about gynaecologic histology
1. A one-day morphology multiheader-based workshop will be delivered at each of the six laboratories reporting cervical cytology, delivered by one of wo UK senior cytoscientists, Nick Dudding (SurePath) and Allan Wilson (ThinPrep).
2. Develop four teaching slide sets for rotation (2 ThinPrep Sets for ThinPrep laboratories and 2 SurePath sets for SurePath laboratories). Each set will comprise a mix of interesting and difficult cases of educational value across the cytology spectrum.
3. Develop teaching modules for use with in-house teaching programmes, to be distributed to all laboratories.
– Cytology sample recommendations in tricky clinical situations
– HPV Test technologies in current use in New Zealand
– Overview of the roles of Cytology- Histology – HPV testing in cervical cancer prevention
– Controlling HPV contamination – and trouble shooting
4. Invitation and funding to attend the NCPTS National Training Day.